The Redwyrmling has been making plot hooks for more than a year. Each session we play seems to have a unique hook that draws my character into some wild adventure. Hundreds of sessions later and I wonder how he continues to create such interesting stories.
1. Ogres are running a food truck and serving delicious meals. The townsfolk love it but don’t realize the food is enchanted.
2. A Tea Party: Goblins are mad because no one will give them tea, so they attack the ships at Griffin’s Wharf and take it for themselves.
3. A rift to the yeti-fell has been opened and this winter weather will never go away until it is closed.
4. A man with a funny hat draws a sword and attacks one of the characters yelling, “I found him!”
5. An undead fire giant with a flaming top hat and flaming belt buckle is searching for treasure.
6. A lurching skeleton with a golden cutlass and tricorn hat is looking for someone to be his friend.
7. A pirate beholder with a hook on one eye-stalk and an eye-patch over his central eye is looking for the skeleton that stole his tricorn hat.
8. A funny gnome is selling winter coats and no one wants to buy one until suddenly a huge ice storm hits.
9. A robot pirate has a herd of friendly dinosaurs.
10. A gold dragon flies into town… but it really a blue dragon that slept in its treasure pile and is now covered in gold coins.
11. Benjamin Franklin needs a magic gem to run his printing press, and it has been stolen.
12. Lightning strikes one of the characters, and he now has a bald spot.
13. A skeleton pirate has lost his powdered wig and needs help finding a new one.
14. A tyrannosaurus rex needs help building a chicken coop.
15. An undead satyr is playing creepy music on an organ, and the characters must listen to it.
16. Vecna is collecting all magic items, and he takes what the players have for himself.
17. Zombies have invaded Mount Vernon for the second time, and George Washington needs help fighting them.
18. A mountain elemental is slowly moving toward the town destroying everything in its path.
19. A lava dragon is mad because people keep throwing stuff into his volcano.
20. A goblin is getting ready for the big 4th of July celebration, but someone stole his wand of fireballs and he needs the characters to help shoot off cannons from a nearby pirate ship so everyone can still celebrate.
21. A wizard casts fly on a giant shark and it scares people in town.
22. A Druidess pirate captain has a Dragonborn first mate and a crew made up of unicorns and small forest creatures.
23. A kraken and a lich build a wizard tower together, and they both get so tired they have to sleep for 39 years.
24. An ogre wakes up scared after having a nightmare about a blue pixie.
25. There is one room in the castle that is always dark. It is called the scary room.
26. An elf gets let out of prison after their 239-year sentence is finished.
27. A flock of Tyrannosaurus Rexes with wings is flying towards the docks.
28. Queen Charlotte carries a golden dagger and is not afraid of liches.
29. A portal to the Yetifell opens up in a mansion in the middle of the city
30. A goblin is searching for his lost friend and needs help.
31. A pirate vampire pixie is out for revenge and sails a tiny ship.
32. Two dragons are arguing over who gets to eat the dwarves in a mine.
33. A volcano erupts candy and sprays it all over the world.
34. A beholder grows two new eye stalks when one is cut off. The new ones have fun rays like hideous laughter, prestidigitation, counterspell, confusion, and bedtime.
35. The Mace of Cake has been stolen and it is being used for evil.
36. Two goblins are dancing in the forest under the crescent moon and singing the Wellerman.
37. A vampire wants to drink chocolate blood because he doesn’t like the taste of whole blood.
38. A group of undead form a rock band lead by vampire Von Jovi and Zombora the lute player. They sing, “Staked through the Heart and you’re to blame. You give blood a bad name. ”
39. The water-wisp kraken is trying to pull you into the plane of the Seven Seas to trap you there.
40. Vampire lady bugs from the Feyfell break through into the material plane and attack the town.
41. A kid finds the Longbow of Eldritch Blasts and is using it to shoot wasps around his home.
42. The Book of the Magic of Doom has been found and an evil wizard has been seen casting Doomspeak spells that can’t be countered by normal spells.
43. There is a floating ball of water in the middle of the Plane of Air that is going dry.
44. An iron golem attacks but if you play the riff from “Iron Man” he will dance.
45. Vecna wears a Monocle of Magic Sight and the Glove of Big Giant Strength.
46. A chicken pirate ship fearlessly attacks a giant squid that is harassing the harbor.
47. An undead fire mouse wants to live in the castle but keeps catching things on fire.
48. Dinosaurs wearing tabards enter the village and offer to protect the people from danger.
49. Cookie Monster is actually a pirate named Captain Biscuit and he is searching the Seven Seas for cookies.
50. An ancient red dragon has started to go blind and is looking for someone to guard his treasure.
51. A ghost parrot was once the pet of a famous sea captain and knows the location of buried treasure.
52. People who fall into a pit at the beginning of the dungeon turn into undead within a few hours.
53. The characters are attacked by wasps every time they stop to take a long rest.
54. The characters receive a letter from themselves asking for help.
55. The characters are very hungry and their food looks gross.
56. A goblin knight arrests a corrupt mayor and seven councilmen.
57. A knight with a peg leg enters a jousting tournament.
58. The king speaks to the people and he turns out to be mean… and a vampire.
59. A wizard finds a pair of mittens that allows her to rage like a barbarian and she really likes it.
60. An asteroid destroys a road and farmers can’t get their harvest to the market.
61. A kid was digging for dinosaur bones and found a magic dagger.
62. Two zombies are having a dancing contest.
63. A huge friendly giant is sad that people keep trying to kill him.
64. A group of people are playing DnD at a tavern.
65. A viking boat with an elephant masthead sails into the harbor.
66. Darth Vader is looking for his lost lightsaber and demands help.
67. The evil emperor jumps at that chance to leave it all behind to become a pirate.
68. An undead kraken attacks a ship in the calm seas.
69. A mean little dog has an old Skeletal hand in its mouth. It is the Hand of Vecna.
70. Darth Vader Never Learned how to Dance when he was a kid and needs the players to teach him.
71. The Hat of the Pirate has fallen into the wrong hands.
72. A lava dragon named Magma-ster offers to teach you the lost spells of Lavamancy.
73. Zombie Quicklings
74. A strange snowstorm blocks the pass. A supply wagon is late.
75. A wizard is caught stealing money from a cafe but can’t be held in prison.
76. A sea dragon that eats a lot of fish sprays the party with its stinky fish gut breath weapon.
77. Medusa teams up with a demolish and a beholder to fight the party.
78. Your favorite movie.
79. An old wizard needs help cleaning out his shed and has no idea what is in there anymore.
80. A skeletal purple worn swallows the characters but they can walk out through the ribcage.
81. The bombs have been set!
82. A portal to a galaxy far far away opens up in front of the characters.
83. Two kids are wrestling over a beholder’s eye stalk.
84. Things go wrong during a cross country horse race.
85. A ghost from the character’s past pays them a visit and warns them that their behavior is mean.
86. A king is mad because one of the characters looks just like him.
87. A noble knight is looking for a squire and chooses a mean kid.
88. The town was ready for the blizzard but not for the yetis.
89. A giant red dragon flies overhead and breathes fire into a druid’s forest because he is mean.
90. A friendly ghost starts following around one of the characters. No one else can see it.
91. A friendly great white shark named Deep Blue is spotted near town and mean people want to hunt her.
92. There is a portal to a candy shop that gives free samples.
93. A 5-year-old boy becomes king and starts telling everyone what to do.
94. A brawny bounty hunter is a seventh generation sparkle wizard named Scott.
95. The emperor is actually a lich and has a secret phylactery.
96. A yeti has never sen grass before until the year of strange weather.
97. A little boy discovers a man costume and tries to hire the characters.
98. A bunch of dwarves hire the party to help the get their lost family treasure back from a dragon.
99. A beholder needs your help to amputate an eye stalk that has become mean.
100. The characters find a very large pile of poop on the road.
101. A tiny beholder the size of an orange is friends with a mimic and a displacer beast.
102. Three people come running out of the town jail.
103. A dog starts following the party around.
104. Kobolds play a trick on adventurers by drawing a lot of cave art of beholders on the dungeon walls.
105. The characters find out the king is fake but he is doing a good job.
106. Tiny beholders form a gang.
107. The queen has been known to wild shape into a dire wolf.
108. The king needs a rare herb to cure his horrible gas.
109. A treasure is found in a junk store for three silver pieces.
110. A wizard like to dance and he was last seen dancing with the princess.
111. Three Beholders get together once a year to have a cake eating contest.
112. The queen is having so much fun playing in the forest that she never wants to leave and go back home.
113. Stone giants gift some large “magic” boulders to the party but they are not strong enough to carry them.
114. Magical Beans! They actually taste good.
115. The king gets jealous because another king has more toys.
116. War has started between the dwarflings and the elflings.
117. The old wizard wants to retire from adventuring but needs someone to take care of her Wand of Wonder.
118. A band of pickpocketing monkeys invade the town.
119. A butterfly looks friendly but it wants to suck your blood.
120. A farmer’s scarecrow with a red hat gets struck by lightning and disappears.
121. Two gladiators escape from the Colosseum and need help from the characters.
122. A halfling rogue plants evidence on one of the characters.
123. On the road, the party meets a donkey pulling a cart full of pumpkins. There is no driver.
124. Two paladins get into a fight about who has the better deity.
125. A wizard apprentice has to shovel the stables because he didn’t do his written work.
126. A volcano erupts snot that covers the entire land and vampire bats swarm out.
127. Olaf from Frozen is actually a Sith Lord and is ready to make the cold bother everyone.
128. A warlock uses a skull as a spell focus. It is really his patron… a demilich.
129. With the nice weather, everyone is outside. That is when the burglars strike.
130. The characters must journey across the mountains to get a burrito and some pastries.
131. The town has begun spring cleanup and the party is asked to clean out the storm drains.
132. Two wveks are hunting a friendly vampire just because he is undead.
133. A covey of six hags casts a hex on the queen.
134. When the characters open the treasure chest, they find a set of stairs going down.
135. The party finds a child in an old ruined castle.
136. A toll booth operator is charging ridiculous fees to cross the bridge.
137. Two ancient dragons fight in the sky above the city and everything is covered in flames and acid.
138. Pirate Adventure encounters: Orc Pirates, Sea Ghosts, Seaweed People. Still Winds, Angry Whale, Disease, Paladins, or Rocs.
139. Two owlbears are raising a next of owls
140. A mimic just wants to be a pirate so it becomes an eye patch to sail the Seven Seas.